Chocolate zucchini cake is one of those rare desserts that’s both healthy and delicious. Packed with nutrients from the zucchini and the rich chocolate flavor, this cake is sure to become a new favorite.
- 1 cup (120 grams) of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (110 grams) grated zucchini, unpeeled and lightly packed
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) well-shaken buttermilk*
*If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make a quick substitute by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 3/4 cup of whole milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes before using.
This chocolate zucchini cake recipe is so moist and delicious that you’ll fall in love at first bite! It’s perfect for summertime picnics and potlucks.
To make the cake:
- Start by grating two cups of zucchini.
- Mix the zucchini, melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Add in the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt – and stir until everything is well combined.
Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9×13 inch baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting, simply mix powdered sugar, melted chocolate, and milk until you reach the desired consistency. Spread over the top of the cooled cake and enjoy!
This Chocolate Zucchini Cake recipe is one that you’ll fall in love with. It’s moist, chocolatey, and full of flavor. Plus, it’s made with healthy ingredients like zucchini and almond flour. You can enjoy this cake without feeling guilty!