Chicken is a popular protein source for people of all ages, and it can be enjoyed in many different ways – from stir-fries to salads to chicken Parmesan. In this article, chefs from around the world share their favorite chicken marinade recipes so that you can enjoy this versatile protein dish in the way that best suits your taste buds.
What is the purpose of marinating chicken?
There are a few reasons why you might want to marinate chicken. One is that it can help to tenderize the meat, making it easier to chew and eat. It also helps to add flavor to the chicken.
But what is the best way to do it? According to chefs, a few key steps must be followed for your chicken to turn out perfectly marinated.
1. Choose the Right Marinade
The first step is to choose the right marinade. Some popular options include soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, and vinegar. Mixing different spices and liquids can also make your marinades, and just be sure to adjust the flavors according to your preferences.
2. Let the Chicken Rest after Marinating
After you’ve chosen your marinade, the next step is to let the chicken rest for a little while. This will help to allow the flavors to blend and create a more delicious dish. You can let the chicken sit in the marinade for a few minutes, or you can skewer it and put it into a pan with the marinade so it can cook.
How long should you marinate chicken?
There’s no definitive answer to this question, as the length of time that chicken can be marinated will vary depending on the recipe you’re using and your preferences. However, most chefs recommend soaking chicken in a mixture of herbs and spices for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
If you’re using a traditional marinade, you may want to add more flavorings if the chicken is cooked in oil or broth. For example, if you’re using a Thai-style marinade, you might add garlic, ginger, and scallions. You can also use a marinade as a base for a sauce by combining it with some stock or wine.
What kind of marinade should you use?
There are endless ways to marinate chicken, but some chefs recommend using a simple mixture of olive oil and vinegar. Others swear by using a spice rub or a citrus-based marinade. Some favorites include a blend of cumin, chili powder, and paprika; garlic, ginger, and soy sauce; honey, Dijon mustard, and lime juice. The possibilities are limitless!
How do you serve marinated chicken?
There are many ways to enjoy marinated chicken, whether cooking for a small group or feeding a big crowd. Here are four of the absolute best ways to serve it:
1. As an appetizer: Serve whole grilled chicken breasts on a bed of fresh greens, with pita bread and your favorite dipping sauce.
2. As part of a multicourse meal: Marinated chicken can be served as the centerpiece of a simple meal, like a stir-fry or salad. Pair it with steamed or roasted vegetables and some basic grains or pasta.
3. As part of the main course: Marinated chicken can be cooked on the grill, in the oven, or even in the microwave—whatever is easiest for you. Serve it over rice or couscous with a side of steamed broccoli or carrots.
4. As part of a party buffet: One way to ensure everyone gets their fair share is to divide marinated chicken among several dishes. This also gives you more time to focus on other fun party activities!